HELPING GIPPSLAND’S COMPETITION SURVIVE AND THRIVE
Wednesday, 29 July 2020
Community sport in Gippsland has been given a boost thanks to a grant from the Victorian Government aimed at helping local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and come back ready to play.
Member for Eastern Victoria, Harriet Shing MP today announced ten grants have been approved in the region from the Government’s Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package.
This will enable the following associations to help them meet fixed costs to ensure they can remain operationally viable and provide a valuable boost for their clubs and membership.
- Gippsland League, Morwell
- Latrobe Valley & District Cricket League Incorporated, Morwell
- Latrobe Valley Baseball Association Inc, Morwell
- Traralgon Amateur Basketball Association, Traralgon
- West Gippsland Football Netball Competition, Morwell
- Central Gippsland Junior Football League Inc, Newborough
- Mid Gippsland Badminton Association Inc., Warragul
- Mid Gippsland Junior Badminton Association Inc, Warragul
- Moe and District Netball Association, Moe
- West Gippsland Hockey Association Inc, Drouin
It will also help them safely operate and reactivate at the other side of the coronavirus pandemic.
Since the start of the coronavirus shutdown, the community sport and active recreation sector has suffered significant revenue losses, putting sporting associations, leagues and clubs at financial risk.
The Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package is rolling out grants in four categories: grants of up to $350,000 for large state sporting associations; grants of up to $200,000 to smaller state sporting associations, regional sports assemblies and academies and other state sport and recreational bodies; grants of up to $15,000 for associations and leagues; and grants of $1,000 for individual clubs.
There are now 200 local leagues and associations across the state who have scored a share in more than $1.4 million thanks to the Victorian Government’s Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package.
The grants are part of the Government’s strong investment in supporting community sport and active recreation in these challenging times.